Healthier Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies
Refined sugar free, gluten free chocolate chip cookies
My good friend Nathalie of Whole and Honeyed posted this delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe and I immediately needed to try it. These chocolate chip cookies are made with almond and oat flour making these gluten free. They're also sweetened with coconut sugar which gives a delicious flavor to these ooey gooey cookies.
I've made them about 5 times since trying out her recipe and I had to share these decadent healthier treats.
Time: 20 Minutes
Yields: About 15 cookies
1 1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt plus more for sprinkling on top
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter (room temp) or coconut oil
1 egg (see notes for vegan version)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling on top
Butter: I used salted butter, however you can substitute with coconut oil (solidified) or Vegan
Egg: I have tested this recipe with a flax egg and they worked perfectly. Simple mix 1tbsp flax meal with 2 tbsp water and allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Put in place of egg as normal in the recipe.
Oat flour: Make your own! I tested this recipe with homemade oat flour which you can make by simply placing the measured about you need in a high powered blender and pulsing until it is a fine flour texture.
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 350 F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients including almond flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, sea salt, and baking soda and set aside.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter and egg (see notes for vegan version).
4. Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully combined. The dough should be a bit sticky and similar in texture to play dough. Then, fold 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips into the dough.
5. Using a cookie scoop, scoop about 2 tbs of dough at a time, and using your hands, roll into balls and place on the parchment paper. Note: be prepared to deal with sticky dough. It helps to roll with wet, clean hands. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top if desired.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, then remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy